• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

200Di Conversions

The next job is to get rid of the er... dum... err.... dum 'kangarooring' when travelling slowly on uneven roads.
This is due to the solid accelerator linkage translating engine movement onto the throttle, it was so easy to fit, but it's time to address the problem.

My previous attempt at using a cable connected to the existing 2.25D lever ended in disaster when the internal cable liner wore out and binded internally so the throttle was fully open!I figured there was too much force on the cable bends, maybe my throttle helper spring didn't help, or the lever was at the wrong angle or whatever...

On my old V6 and V8 conversions I fitted the cable adjuster through the bulkhead in a pivot bearing, and I made a slotted ali pivot holder mounted to the existing pedal for the nipple end (ooh err). One problem was my boot would occasionally catch the long cable from the bulkhead when I was least expecting it, and sometimes the cable end would jump out of the adjuster and it would go to nearly full throttle, (which you don't want to happen on a V8). Also the existing throttle pedal has a limited range and the linkages rattle about.

So I'd been looking around for a Defender accelerator pedal for ages, and refusing to pay the obscene prices that people are asking (Ā£50-Ā£75 for a rough secondhand one, just because of the 'D'' word) but I finally found one for Ā£16! Rather than use a LHD Defender throttle cable and coil it up I have a couple of quality custom motorcycle clutch cable kits which can be cut to size.

Last edited:
I had a think about this after I read your post, I've got the military for want of a better word agricultural control, it came of an old N/A and fits around or under the vacuum pump which is the same as what you have on your 200, I'm sure if I remember rightly that was on a rod, a ball that connected to the actual throttle and a cable to wind it up to the revs you want for the agricultural control bit, if that helps I'll have to dig it out, but you might be able to keep your throttle linkage bit, I don't know enough about the old series, I'll post some photos when I've found it and see what you think

The next job is to get rid of the er... dum... err.... dum 'kangarooring' when travelling slowly on uneven roads.
This is due to the solid accelerator linkage translating engine movement onto the throttle, it was so easy to fit, but it's time to address the problem.

My previous attempt at using a cable connected to the existing 2.25D lever ended in disaster when the internal cable liner wore out and binded internally so the throttle was fully open!I figured there was too much force on the cable bends, maybe my throttle helper spring didn't help, or the lever was at the wrong angle or whatever...

On my old V6 and V8 conversions I fitted the cable adjuster through the bulkhead in a pivot bearing, and I made a slotted ali pivot holder mounted to the existing pedal for the nipple end (ooh err). One problem was my boot would occasionally catch the long cable from the bulkhead when I was least expecting it, and sometimes the cable end would jump out of the adjuster and it would go to nearly full throttle, (which you don't want to happen on a V8). Also the existing throttle pedal has a limited range and the linkages rattle about.

So I'd been looking around for a Defender accelerator pedal for ages, and refusing to pay the obscene prices that people are asking (Ā£50-Ā£75 for a rough secondhand one, just because of the 'D'' word) but I finally found one for Ā£16! Rather than use a LHD Defender throttle cable and coil it up I have a couple of quality custom motorcycle clutch cable kits which can be cut to size.
Basically this fella, not quite as shiny,

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240407-201737_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240407-201737_Chrome.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 22
Basically this fella, not quite as shiny,
I saw some of those for sale and they looked quite interesting. I also bought some made in China pedals designed for go-kart conversions but the bush was in the wrong place.
Anyway I have a Defender pedal on the way now, so it should all be straightforward provided I mount the cable in the right place through the bulkhead. :)

s-l1600.jpg

When you say rear mount ladder, one to get you to a roof rack? What, which or if there's a different gearbox is there a serial number to the one you want , like I said not really up on the series stuff but know plenty of people with them, and no to the swing away wheel carrier but will keep my ears open.
What have you got turbo wise, Inlet and outlet manifolds? Don't know what you've used on your project to what's available and all for an 11L 200 yes and I'm assuming you don't want all of that for bits you've got or am I mistaken

When you say rear mount ladder, one to get you to a roof rack? What, which or if there's a different gearbox is there a serial number to the one you want , like I said not really up on the series stuff but know plenty of people with them, and no to the swing away wheel carrier but will keep my ears open.
What have you got turbo wise, Inlet and outlet manifolds? Don't know what you've used on your project to what's available and all for an 11L 200 yes and I'm assuming you don't want all of that for bits you've got or am I mistaken
I have the Disco turbo with the exhaust manifold, and also the oil cooler, but not the intercooler.

They are some examples of individual items on my wish list.

Definitely interested in the turbo, I know I'm going to get strung up for this but I prefer the Disco 200 engine than the Defender one and to be honest I'm pleased it is a Disco one, the only thing I am going to say is the last one I bought cost me 100 quid, manifold aswell, so where do we go from there fella, I have asked today about gearboxes today and for one that will definitely need attention people are asking stupid money, even looked at re-con ones out of interest and they are 1500 quid, don't know what to say

Definitely interested in the turbo, I know I'm going to get strung up for this but I prefer the Disco 200 engine than the Defender one and to be honest I'm pleased it is a Disco one, the only thing I am going to say is the last one I bought cost me 100 quid, manifold aswell, so where do we go from there fella, I have asked today about gearboxes today and for one that will definitely need attention people are asking stupid money, even looked at re-con ones out of interest and they are 1500 quid, don't know what to say
OK, maybe not a gearbox then!
But I can say that I tested the engine with the turbo, and I even have the video!

OK, maybe not a gearbox then!
But I can say that I tested the engine with the turbo, and I even have the video!
I don't need the video fella, it'll go off for a re-con whatever
The ladder and swing away wheel carrier, do they want to be series related or something else, I can imagine you'd want something age related if they are available?

I don't need the video fella, it'll go off for a re-con whatever
The ladder and swing away wheel carrier, do they want to be series related or something else, I can imagine you'd want something age related if they are available?
You'll find most of them are all after-market designed to fit Series or Defender.

Your ladder will be with you tomorrow fella, no delivery slot time but I'll keep you posted but I'm sure they are going to let me know its with you, can you just let me know you've received it and we can go from there, speak soon

Back
Top Bottom