• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Wet Driver Footwell Disco 2

Well done, good investigation. That is the bulkhead grommet carrying the main loom into the car.
You should be able to access it from the engine side to put some sealer around. I would suggest just pulling the lip back slightly to apply do not try and remove.
Do both sides and cross your fingers !

Thanks everyone, so is this grommet/wiring easy enough to find inside the engine bay and, once found, what do you recommend I seal it with? Is that Tiger Sealant stuff suitable or is there something better?

Tiger seal is good stuff, alternatives are available but just don't use silicon lol
If you find the grommet the other side of the bulkhead from where its leaking inside and seal up that side in the engine bay as suggested by Cliff then that'll likely do it for you.

Hi again! Last picture was a false celebration, it must have been a drop or two from where the engine bay was power washed after having the ACE system removed (another story!) as the grommet area was dry from the engine side a couple of days after the picture was taken. Fast forward to today, heavy rain, got in truck and saw usual puddle in footwell. I can see water running from up above the wiring at the side, way up as far as you can see. Is that leaking in from the wing somewhere? How on earth do I get at it to seal it? Any ideas? Hope the photos help

Attachments

• IMG_2924.jpeg
    IMG_2924.jpeg
    321.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2925.jpeg
    IMG_2925.jpeg
    283.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2926.jpeg
    IMG_2926.jpeg
    339.6 KB · Views: 24
I had this on my D1
Badly fitted replacement windscreen …fitter had scraped the paint along the base of the windscreen frame.
Water running down the channel at the side of the screen was being directed round the base of the screen and rusted it out along with the bonnet mounts and the bulkhead

The big seam, under the scuttle panel, at the base of the windscreen. Common in D1's (which have a massive hole there, that USED to be full of sealer), D2's probably don't have the hole, but the seam is still there.

On the D1, it runs into the member that run under the dash against the firewall, and dribbles down similar to you last pictures.

Attachments

• Disco 1 common leak - Imgur.jpg
    Disco 1 common leak - Imgur.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 20
The big seam, under the scuttle panel, at the base of the windscreen. Common in D1's (which have a massive hole there, that USED to be full of sealer), D2's probably don't have the hole, but the seam is still there.

On the D1, it runs into the member that run under the dash against the firewall, and dribbles down similar to you last pictures.
yeah mine was essentially this except the 'hole' ran all the way along the base of the windscreen to around the middle of the car.
It had eaten its way across munching the bonnet mount and starting to eat downwards on the bulkhead...even the panel smack bang right behind the v8 was eroded from the top downwards. fixing it would have been a screen/dash and more removal to carve out all the rot...not a feasible driveway repair really

Hi. Just joined the forum, although had a d2 for 14 years, the second one for a total of 12 years. Glutton for punishment. To be honest my d2 is the same with wet carpets both sides, but have greatly reduced the right side. Had to seal the top edge of the gutter as it came to the windscreen. Water was getting behind the a piller all the way down. The wiper plastic had to be sealed at the bottom everywhere it met the a panel. The gully under the bonnet had to be sealed at the edge as the water was going down the drain hole but was also getting passed the gully and inner wing. This then was running down the bulkhead and into the car via the large block of wires and passed the grommet. Wow. Now have to take off the wiper plastic again as the nearside carpet is getting soaked via the heater blower air intake. What a crazy design. Never cured them completely.

Back again, after heavy rain the bulkhead grommet carrying the main loom inside IS leaking and pooling on the floor. The seams in the water gulley under the bonnet do look a bit suspect so I’ve bought some brush on seam sealer for those. I also noticed a hole with what looked like a sticker on the back of it in the gulley, the sticker looked damaged which theoretically could let water through, down behind the soundproofing sponge (which was wet), then down onto that wiring loom and through to inside the car to drip/run into the footwell. I removed the “sticker “ and replaced it with a plastic cap I found to fit and glued it in, now preventing water from getting through there (see pics). I’ll now keep an eye on it after it next rains…..

Attachments

• IMG_2940.jpeg
    IMG_2940.jpeg
    413.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2939.jpeg
    IMG_2939.jpeg
    465.9 KB · Views: 14
Back again, after heavy rain the bulkhead grommet carrying the main loom inside IS leaking and pooling on the floor. The seams in the water gulley under the bonnet do look a bit suspect so I’ve bought some brush on seam sealer for those. I also noticed a hole with what looked like a sticker on the back of it in the gulley, the sticker looked damaged which theoretically could let water through, down behind the soundproofing sponge (which was wet), then down onto that wiring loom and through to inside the car to drip/run into the footwell. I removed the “sticker “ and replaced it with a plastic cap I found to fit and glued it in, now preventing water from getting through there (see pics). I’ll now keep an eye on it after it next rai
Back again, after heavy rain the bulkhead grommet carrying the main loom inside IS leaking and pooling on the floor. The seams in the water gulley under the bonnet do look a bit suspect so I’ve bought some brush on seam sealer for those. I also noticed a hole with what looked like a sticker on the back of it in the gulley, the sticker looked damaged which theoretically could let water through, down behind the soundproofing sponge (which was wet), then down onto that wiring loom and through to inside the car to drip/run into the footwell. I removed the “sticker “ and replaced it with a plastic cap I found to fit and glued it in, now preventing water from getting through there (see pics). I’ll now keep an eye on it after it next rains…..
Hi. Been reading about your leaking Discovery. Have just remedied, or so I thought the nearside leaking footwell, sealing up the nearside rain gully, only to find that, water is coming up from the floor not so far from the centre tunnel where the floor starts it's slope to the bulk head. This when the vehicle hasn't been moved for days, just the rain and it's coming up from the seam. Looking from the front under the bonnet, the passenger side bolt on plate, where the left hand drive brake servo would be, is oozing water from the top of the plate seams!!! Haven't got a scooby what this is all about. Started to take the plate off after removing everything in the way, but as normal the heavens opened and I've called it a day. As always, To Be Continued. What is it with these motors?

Well, brushed seam sealer all around gulley under windscreen on drivers side, just waiting for rain now to see whether or not it’s fixed. If it does fix, I’ll do the same on the passenger side ( which for now is OK).

I’ve had mine 9 years this year (2001 td5), and to be fair this is the first leak I’ve had although it’s taken me about 12 months to get to the bottom of it which time will tell whether I’ve succeeded! Still love it though even though it does cost me a fortune!

Back
Top Bottom