• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Oil pressure gauge

wimwolf

Accelerating Away
Found an electric smiths oil pressure gauge in my old stock.

Most straight forward for me seems to use a T-piece with front and end thread 3/8 x20 bsf for the oil switch and an extra hole for the pressure switch sender (going towards the gauge)
Not so easy to find such an adaptor piece, pressure switch must of course fit in the extra hole, 3/8 bsf seems not very common here.
1/8 upt or uptf seems very common.

Can i drill and thread the oil filter housing (the existing 3/8 bsf hole) towards something more common like 1/8 upt?

Thx

Ohw yes, that will do the job. Seems like this will be UK shipping for me because I cannot find anything here in Belgium with bsf thread. Hence the question of re-drilling the hole in the oil filter housing. Thx

I also see oil pressure sender units with 1 or 2 wire connections, I was aiming for one with only 1 wire. What is the difference?
I have the original smiths gauge, manual says 1 wire from pressure sender.

IMG_1244.jpeg

Last edited:
Ohw yes, that will do the job. Seems like this will be UK shipping for me because I cannot find anything here in Belgium with bsf thread. Hence the question of re-drilling the hole in the oil filter housing. Thx

I also see oil pressure sender units with 1 or 2 wire connections, I was aiming for one with only 1 wire. What is the difference?

View attachment 531426
That is a mechcanical pressure guage ie bourdon tube you have an electrical one , 2nd wire maybe backlight for night driving.

View attachment 531426
Just a guess here but I'd say the one-wire type probably grounds through its own housing and the two-wire type might be isolated, ie: one goes to the gauge and the other to earth. Just a guess...

Back
Top Bottom