• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Millers Gear Oil 80W90 GL4 - Axles.

Will the above oil be okay in my axles/diffs, the rear one is a Salisbury Axle.

What's the difference between normal gear oil & hypoid, it's always baffled me!?

Cheers

Hypoid oil is made (added friction modifiers etc) for hypoid gears(!), which are bevelled gears that intersect at an angle rather than having axles that are parallel to each other, and therefore mesh with higher localised pressure and shearing forces than straight cut gears.

Hypoid oil is made (added friction modifiers etc) for hypoid gears(!), which are bevelled gears that intersect at an angle rather than having axles that are parallel to each other, and therefore mesh with higher localised pressure and shearing forces than straight cut gears.
So is hypoid oil better to run in all axles?
I just bought this but I didn't particularly clock that it was hypoid.

First off, Im no expert, I just accumulate other peoples knowledge and manage to store some of it!

Secondly, I would say that oil technology has moved on considerably since our vehicles were built and the oils specified.
For instance, the whole GL4/GL5 debate rolls on, but not all GL5 oils will attack the yellow metals as (some) manufacturers have reduced or buffered the sulphur content.

The S&A EP90 is the right stuff (specification as per LR) and the blurb indicates that it contains additives to qualify it as a Hypoid oil. As such, its probably better than an oil which doesnt have the hypoid additives. Those additives are unlikely to cause any issues in other boxes with straight cut / bevelled gears etc, but its possible that the manufacturers of those boxes may specify different oils.

Run with what the manufacturer specified (or a later equivalent) from a reputable supplier and you cant go far wrong.

Good question. If special hypoid gear oil is needed for the added pressure encountered there then wouldn't it be extra "good" for regular gearing? I don't see why not...
I'm no expert on oils but I agree, the hypoid additives probably make for a better oil even in a non hypoid axle. You can spot a hypoid axle because the pinion shaft will be below the level of the drive shafts ( halfshafts ) . David

I might have one here, I'll have a look today
Sorry I forgot this morning to get back, I've had a good look around the paperwork I have, unbelievably I have 1600 page MOD book on how to do your land rover in the field with absolutely bugger all about oils shockingly so, so sorry I can't help, if anyone has that info I'd be interested in having a look, if nothing else just for the reference

Back
Top Bottom