• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Left hand to righthand drive

Guitar Mick

Staff member
How difficult is it to change a Range Rover Classic (with power steering) from lefthand drive to Righthand drive, and are there any bits required that are unobtainable?

Not really answering your question, but an issue you may not be aware of is that ONLY on a left hand drive RRC, the suspension is biased, so once converted and driver installed I would assume that there will be an exagerated lean, not a major issue I appreciate, but may save you scatching your head as to why it leans so much.

Not really answering your question, but an issue you may not be aware of is that ONLY on a left hand drive RRC, the suspension is biased, so once converted and driver installed I would assume that there will be an exagerated lean, not a major issue I appreciate, but may save you scatching your head as to why it leans so much.
Would that just be a matter of swapping the springs over from one side to the other? I guess what I am looking for is a 'no you can't because' or yeah, it can be done but you need to change this, this and this.....or even better yes you can and all the parts are already there :)

If you swapped, it would be biased the other way, so no! It is to do with the rotation of the engine, that is why they fit equal springs to a RHD. I have to wonder why you want/need to convert, but my gut says that all parts will be available, after all, I would not expect a problem with obtaining any part for a RRC that is a RHD, and that is what you are doing; major project but very doable especially if you are happy to have used parts.

If you swapped, it would be biased the other way, so no! It is to do with the rotation of the engine, that is why they fit equal springs to a RHD. I have to wonder why you want/need to convert, but my gut says that all parts will be available, after all, I would not expect a problem with obtaining any part for a RRC that is a RHD, and that is what you are doing; major project but very doable especially if you are happy to have used parts.
So at the least I'd be looking at a new set of springs? hmmm It will all come down to how much they are looking to get for the vehicle, as to wether it would be a viable project. If I went ahead I would be looking to strip to chassis and rebuild anyway. It's all gonna come down to a balance between how much it costs to buy and transport versus how good the chassis, body frame and bulkhead are. If the change to righthand drive is relatively straight ahead, not having to spend money and time repairing a rotten chassis etc, could make it a more viable option. The jury is still out !!

most of the steering parts can be obtained from a scrap disco or defender . i think the pedal box swaps straight over dash swaps straight over not sure about the wiring you might get lucky and it can be turned round from left to right . i have never done this swap are you thinking of an early one ?

most of the steering parts can be obtained from a scrap disco or defender . i think the pedal box swaps straight over dash swaps straight over not sure about the wiring you might get lucky and it can be turned round from left to right . i have never done this swap are you thinking of an early one ?
It's late 70's and has spent it's life in the sun, hence the lack of tin worm. I'm guessing that the steering box is a handed item (it has power steering). The wiring loom(s) is not so much of a concern as I am expecting to have to replace some if not all of it.

steering box is handed 4 bolt disco ones are the common ones now you may have to get pipes made as 3 bolt are different . I once tried to fit a lhd box on a rhd car steering column goes the wrong way it was sent to me by a well known spares seller labeled as a rhd . any lhd bits may sell well on ebay

How difficult is it to change a Range Rover Classic (with power steering) from lefthand drive to Righthand drive, and are there any bits required that are unobtainable?
Hi Mick, how did you get on with the lhd to rhd conversion?. I am thinking of doing the same on my 1977 2 door

Hi Mick, how did you get on with the lhd to rhd conversion?. I am thinking of doing the same on my 1977 2 door
Sadly the project didn't go ahead and I passed on the purchase. I'd still love to do a two door resto but I really don't have the proper space and facilities to complete such a project (or permission from Management :D ).. If you do yours make sure you start a thread about it.

Back
Top Bottom