• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Funny smell

Paul Parminter D4

In Second Gear
I have got a funny smell coming from my Disco 4 I can not see any fluid leaking for anywhere and the car is running fine, the smell is a bit stronger when I have got the fan on

Describe this 'funny' smell.... oily/musty/sweet? something else? does it only happen at certain times / events?
You've not given us a lot to go on....
What is a 'sdtd' ? do you mean SDV6?

I would say it's a musty sweet smell only started happen over the last week and it happens after a short drive don't have to be motorway or town really
Sorry yes SDV6

It could well be the pollen filter / aircon needing an antibacterial treatment - does the aircon function correctly?
Otherwise, it could be a coolant leak onto something hot - have you had to top it up?
The XS spec doesn't have a sunroof but if the original purchaser added one as an option, then check the front footwell carpets for moisture.

Thank u for that much appreciated, yes the air con seems to be working fine but I have not had anything done to it since having the car so could be a possibility something for me to look into, I have not had to top up coolant all ok there, I have got a sun roof but carpet in the front r dry, car going in for service next month so pollen filter will be changed and will get them to check out my air con thank u for taking the time to answer me

I remember the Aircon in my Vivaro van smelling when it needed a flush through funny enough ,it smelt like off milk a bit had me going for quite awhile before I sussed it out ,so a good possibility that .not so sure about the system on a Disco but all air cons are roughly the same I would have thought .

From what you say, I'd suggest the next stage is an aircon sanitiser. Drop down the lower glove box to get to the pollen filter, remove it, put the aircon on full cold and recirc on, position the spray so it's drawn in to where the pollen filter should be. Get out and stay out of the car for >15 minutes, then vent the car for >30 mins before driving it after refitting or replacing the pollen filter. If you have rear aircon, then also put a can in the boot pointing to the air intake in the NS boot side trim.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom