• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Clicking series 2 steering

There is no sound on the video. At least I cannot bear any sound.
Guess time, the small bearing at the top of the column? Many tiny ball bearings therein, possibly it is failing. Fairly easy fix but means disturbing the steering box to get the old bearing out.
Ah got the noise now, sounds too heavy for the small bearing at the top end of the column so possibly something awry within the steering box itself? Again, many balls therein. Not difficult to overhaul and fill with new balls.
Alternatively

Last edited:
Get someone to do that to the steering while you feel for obvious vibrations from components.
Could be the box or the relay as likely causes, but it could even be a binding balljoint.

Obviously it's hard to tell from a recording but it sounds like it's being amplified by the bulkhead which leads me to think it's coming from the steering box.

If you feel like replacing that top bearing set, get a very strong magnet and hope it holds the loose bearings up at the top. You really don't want them dropping down the column. And, mind you don't smack yourself in the face with the steering wheel when it lets go.

From what I've seen, most bearing replacements seem to be Briptart.

And, mind you don't smack yourself in the face with the steering wheel when it lets go.
And do take heed of this.

Despite knowing this AND reminding myself of it I still took the nut completely off and gave it a few taps from underneath.

Yes it came off

Yes it does really hurt

Yes you do see stars

Yes I was annoyed with myself for being so stupid

mind you don't smack yourself in the face with the steering wheel when it lets go.
And do take heed of this.

Despite knowing this AND reminding myself of it I still took the nut completely off and gave it a few taps from underneath.
Yup x3.
Leave the nut on a couple of threads. Or get someone else to pull while you tap it...

Three loose bolts !!!

Sweet.

IMG_0225.jpeg

That'll do it...🤣

I'd be tempted by new bolts and nuts. Obviously the rebuilder (worked for LR you said?) didn't torque them up properly.

An easier repair than the steering box, wheel or relay, for sure. 😊

That being said, I would have a good look at the relay and get somebody to turn the wheel as you check, if those bolts were loose, it's worth checking it all.

Back
Top Bottom