• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Transfer Box Won't Turn

Cleaner picture of the rear output bearing. I could not get in any further to clean. The bearing feels very smooth with no resistance or grumbles that I can feel through the shaft. There is no slop in either side to side or forward to back directions.

I still have the intermediate gear in place so the output shaft is connected through to the gearbox. When I get that undone and the shaft is just spinning on its own bearings without any other drag it may sound or feel a little different.

Attachments

• IMG_4599.jpeg
    IMG_4599.jpeg
    328.4 KB · Views: 11
Cleaner picture of the rear output bearing. I could not get in any further to clean. The bearing feels very smooth with no resistance or grumbles that I can feel through the shaft. There is no slop in either side to side or forward to back directions.

I still have the intermediate gear in place so the output shaft is connected through to the gearbox. When I get that undone and the shaft is just spinning on its own bearings without any other drag it may sound or feel a little different.
That looks ok must have just been the lubricant.

New worm gear fitted. Speedo shaft cleaned and new seals fitted.

Preload set to 63 thou. Thatā€™s minus 5 on the previous setting.

Back plate, flange and rear output nut all on and torqued to 85ft/lb and spooning freely. šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜

Just putting drum in now but not anticipating any issues there.

So the cause I think must have been the worm gear getting fouled up and jammed. When we first took it out it had lots of new burrs on it that must have come from us tightening the flange nut the first time. I canā€™t think it was anything else.

Thanks for everyoneā€™s help. All the different methods for preload were interesting and very useful. I really was losing it when it started locking up as we touched nothing in the speedo housing until we had this locking issue. Iā€™ve learnt a lot though!

Now Iā€™ve just got to bleed the clutch, install new sills and get all of the interior back in and take it for quick run and hope i adjusted the new front brakes shoes correctly.

Back
Top Bottom