• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

The "normal things going on" thread.

View attachment 531143

I had the Petromax out last night, I'd not been using it as the pump was iffy and it meant you had to go at it like a lunatic just to try and maintain pressure, my mind turned to it recently and ten seconds' work on Google told me to grease the pump leather. Well it worked a treat; unlike other paraffin lamps the Petromax has a blowtorch preheater (ignore the MAPP torch on the table, I couldn't find a lighter), it's absolutely ferocious and needs you to keep the pressure above 1.5 bar to function, with the pump back in full working order this was easily achieved. Far easier than faffing about trying to prime it with meths!

I brought it into the house to show Laura and the dog ran away and hid, personally I like the sound of it as it drowns out my tinnitus 😅
Oh .. the days of paraffin blow lamps .. and lamp mantels that would disintegrate just by looking at them ... brittle as hell..

Went to a country show today ..a few landys there …..nice series on the trailer but needed a heap of work .
A couple of Wolfs etc .
IMG_3851.jpeg
IMG_3850.jpeg
IMG_3849.jpeg
IMG_3848.jpeg

A wee bit of Google suggests that Rootes, the dealers in the photo, might have been

"Rootes was the parent company of many famous British marques, including Hillman, Humber, Singer, Sunbeam, Commer and Karrier."

Who knew!
Well spotted I didn’t see the Rootes .its amazing how things used to be isn’t it .especially the prices but all relevant with today I guess .i would quite liked to have been around then to be honest ..It’s a shame all those names have now gone .the old commer was a great shape there was one at the show yesterday..

Our old S2 was £200 and a clapped out mini traveller as a trade in. (Which blew up a few weeks later 😁)

Is that a Zephyr in the middle? I'm seeing a commer van in the back too? Wonder when it was?
I’m thinking a Humber super snipe ..what about the car to the left a Morgan perhaps ..

Mini traveller a few quid now .

I’m thinking a Humber super snipe
Changed my mind, think it's a Consul?

That could be a Morgan...there's a few cars that shape. I wonder how many are on the road now!? I fell out of a commer van with sliding doors once, the doors were always tied open on it.

I think the ones on the right are Anglia's?

It's crazy when you think on prices... A loaf was 1/2d a week's wages £4. Now a loaf is over a £1.... That's quite the inflation!

Changed my mind, think it's a Consul?

That could be a Morgan...there's a few cars that shape. I wonder how many are on the road now!? I fell out of a commer van with sliding doors once, the doors were always tied open on it.

I think the ones on the right are Anglia's?

It's crazy when you think on prices... A loaf was 1/2d a week's wages £4. Now a loaf is over a £1.... That's quite the inflation!
My Dad had a Bedford CF with sliding doors it was used for the fruit business and mine as a passion wagon in the evenings 🤭 good memories them . Things have certainly changed over the years ..what do you think the flat bed truck is at the rear ..a Thames maybe .

Mini traveller a few quid now
The one we had....prepare for convoluted tale. Got coffee and biscuits ready?

In 1975 we were driving in Manchester, we had an old 1964 Renault 8, rear engine. Well, there was a buxom lass washing a car, and dad was watching her, not the road. Hit an oncoming car and the Renault shrunk by about 3 feet.

Uncle was a dodgy used car salesman, he sold us this mini traveller as we were moving to Ayrshire and needed a car.

What a trip up the M6 that was. Head gasket leaking, stop at every services to top the header tank up.

Got moved in eventually, lots of adventures, removals lorry got stuck on the road up to the house, driver in fear for his life ..

Dad decides it's time to sort the head gasket. He undid the bolts, but the head wouldnt come off. He was trying to lever it off, screw drivers, chisels.... Well, a week or so later I went into the garage and he's cursing away at it.... I looked at it and said "why don't you undo 'those' bolts!"

"Bugger off, I know what I'm doing!"

A day or so later, "BANG" one of 'those' bolts had snapped under the strain (yes, really) and embedded itself in the garage ceiling. Undid the other three and the head literally jumped off. We laughed after...

Well, it was a bit pitted, like..😏. So, dad used araldite to stick the head and gasket back on. It worked just fine!

About a week later driving to town, BANG again, rear subframe let go. So traded it in.... The least rotten part of that car was the wooden frame on the traveller bit!

Couple weeks later I'm on the school bus and see the mini driving round having had the subframe sorted ..and there's another BANG and a huge cloud of steam. 🤣

Dad was in the garage where we did the trade soon after filling up the Landy. Owner says "that bloody mini, some silly bugger had glued the head on with epoxy, and it blew up!"

Dad just said "Wow! I got rid of it just in time, then? Lucky escape..."

We didn't fill up there again for a while....🤣🤣

How were your biscuits and coffee?

Back
Top Bottom