• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

re galvanizing

briskasdad

In Fourth Gear
Can the galvanized metal work for a soft top ie above the door tops and where the canvas sits in behind the doors be re galvanized. I`m not sure if it will distort if dipped into zinc, I ask this because a welder at work said it may be a different method, some magic using electro plating, he did say the method but I have been asleep since he told me. Regards Stan

I think your tame welder might be thinking of "Zintec" which uses an electro-plating technique but forget about it, the coating is very thin, easily damaged and not suitable as a stand-alone metal finish and must be coated with something more durable.

I think the originals were hot dip galvanised. They may need some prep before going in again, but any company that does railings etc should be able to advise. Try your local fabricators that do railings or bars, as it should be cheaper to add them to a batch they are doing than quoting for 3 or 4 bits direct to a galvanisers.

http://www.medgalv.co.uk/

Medway Galvanising will do small batches - but you may have to wait. Basically they add the small batches to any spare space in the vat and oven on a larger job. They would acid clean and hot galvanise. I had a batch of 24 large channels acid stripped and powder coated by them a few years back. Cost to have it done as an own batch would be horrendous so basically you drop your bits off and wait for them to ring when they are done.

Might be someone else nearer you than Sittingbourne.

Forgot to add re your query about distortion. My channels were 1.2m long U channels about 400mm wide in 2mm steel and had two bolt holes at each end to fit a fixed frame -they came back bubble wrapped and were true. As I said that was powder coated and then oven baked though.

Powder coating was also a thought that I had, there is a firm in Thanet that I used for axel casings, I`m not after them looking original, just clean and tidy. thanks for reply`s..........Stan

To be honest I was not that happy with the powder coating. They did a brilliant job and they looked great for about 5 years then grew rusty patches pretty quickly from underneath. They were swimming pool cappings dating from 1978 and I was refurbishing the pool - and the original powder coating had gone powdery and was coming off like powdered milk with some minor rust patches. Medway Galvanising did say when I took them in that even with acid cleaning they could not guarantee a long life for new powder coating and advised galvanising - but I wanted them white again.

In the end I found a local architectural steel fabricator who had 3 sheets of 2mm 316 marine grade stainless steel from a job that went south - got a good deal for him to make a complete new set of cappings in 316. Now all shiny for ever.......

I think for old landy cappings I would go or galvanising -worth talking to Medway Galvanising at least - the cost is by weight generally.

my local galvanisers charges a minimum £73 per batch. the rest goes up in weight. my mate galvanised the steel bits of his landy for that price. i'd look at what other parts need gavling at the same time. perhaps the capings, and the under tub suports. i would not imaging too much trouble with distortion given the small size of the panels. have the parts shot blasted first, and inspect for any repairs needed. this may cost more than the galvaising, and could also damage the parts. before taking the patrs make an inventry and take pictures so the galvaniseres know what you have given them.

Our local fasterners shop (Apex Fasteners - Slough - realy helpful) sell 2 types of cold spray "galvanising". They are aerosols with a very high zinc content - one is to give a "new" look and the other "aged". I think that boils down to gloss vs matt. They are for repairs to industrial gear and about £9 a can. I'm planning on doing my trims with it (more pressing repairs to do first) . My day job is in oil and gas, I've just come back from 10 days surveying a rig, some of these high galv paints work pretty well so I'd be quite confident about trying it. I had to spec some paint for a rig a while back - it was over 90% zinc by weight (you could hardly lift the tins) cost a fortune but was good for 20 years in salt spray.

yes these paint on zinc products do work, but you need to apply them on bare steel direct e.i. there can not be an isolator like paint between. Obviously painting over galvanized steel works as this is conductive.

Hi I've just joined this forum,
I have two series 2' 109 pickups one 1961 (started it 10 years ago oops) and the other 1959 I brought last week, I'm currently restoring 1961 and need all 115 galvanised parts re doing, I rang what is now Joseph Ash in the week, the lady there said I needed to show them the parts, which I did today, the lad there said its all good and clean so we unloaded onto a pallet, photo copied my list only to be told by the sales manager "we don't do landrover parts no more?? So back in the van it all goes! as if getting in and out of sittingbourne wasn't stressful enough, I got turned away, so has anybody had their galvanising done recently, hope some can help

Forgot to say it's was Joseph Ash sittingbourne, the lad there was ever so apologetic, shame the sales manager didn't tell the rest of the staff then I wouldn't of wasted my time

Hi I've just joined this forum,
I have two series 2' 109 pickups one 1961 (started it 10 years ago oops) and the other 1959 I brought last week, I'm currently restoring 1961 and need all 115 galvanised parts re doing, I rang what is now Joseph Ash in the week, the lady there said I needed to show them the parts, which I did today, the lad there said its all good and clean so we unloaded onto a pallet, photo copied my list only to be told by the sales manager "we don't do landrover parts no more?? So back in the van it all goes! as if getting in and out of sittingbourne wasn't stressful enough, I got turned away, so has anybody had their galvanising done recently, hope some can help
I emailed them a few years back. They wanted photos of the parts, which I sent. They replied:

"I have spoken with the production team and they are very concerned about damage and distortion during processing.
I am so sorry we can’t help on this occasion".

"I have spoken with the production team and they are very concerned about damage and distortion during processing.
I am so sorry we can’t help on this occasion"
"We once had a few guys who were right wankers, we went out of our way to help them, one of the parts got spoiled despite telling them galving can cause distortions and they all went ape shit so we thought "sod this" and decided to never bother doing Land Rover parts again, sorry we can't help on this occasion"

Just put that through the corporate translator for you.

Back
Top Bottom