• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

New defender gps antenna height. Help

samueluper

In Second Gear
Hi there! Let me introduce myself, my name is Samuel and I’m writing from Spain. Currently, I own a Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE and I’m delighted with it. After 10 years and 170,000 km, it has never let me down, but it’s time for a change and I’m in love with the new Defender.

The only downside is that, as far as I can see, it’s 3 cm taller than mine because of the ‘shark fin’ antenna. In my garage, there’s an area that might be an issue for clearance, so I’d like to know if there’s any aftermarket part available to replace that antenna with a flat one.

Thanks a million!

The GPS part of the antenna would be easy to replace with any 5V phantom powered unit with a Fakra connector, the issue you'll have is the DAB L band antenna which is the 'fin' part. Because of the high frequency, window antennas are not great replacements. Obviously you'd also need to seal the mounting holes too.

When I installed the DAB into the Defender, I tried (unsuccessfully) several window mounted antennas. Not recommended.

Not an ideal solution, but a small 'springy' aerial similar to this might be more forgiving of being pinged off the garage roof;

Thats ones mag mounted, but you could probably find one that bolts through...

Back
Top Bottom