• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Have i done the right thing?

Have I done the right thing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
every part will be blasted with a very fine media (not even as harsh as soda)
We tried media blasting - much quicker - very fine plastic granules - but too much dust - got into wing and fuselage cavities and clogged control mechanisms. Took us weeks to clear it out. Went back to chemical stripping and finishing off by hand and compressed air tools.

Results are in! 86% to 14%
" the Nos have it"
Overwhelming vote for me doing the wrong thing !
I thought it'd go this way it was a really tough decision for me, I guess its also why I thought I'd go for powder coating and not a standard paint job
Thanks for the votes and comments, I'll update when I put it back together with pics , I'm away from home until end of March, personally can't wait to see how it's gone, even if it was the wrong thing to do :)

Its your vehicle so no-one can tell you that you did the wrong thing.
The only thing that people can say is that they wouldnt have done it that way.

So very true.
Whenever it comes down to classic aesthetics I get a little conflicted. On one hand, it's your car and you should enjoy looking at it. On the other hand, you can't replace patina. If the paint is consistent and sound, which gives vehicles an honest but stately look to my mind, i would keep it. I have painted my landy a few times though. The squaddie cake was half inch thick and flaking off all over. To some that would qualify as patina, to me it looked terrible. I think I ultimately come down on the "It's your car" category.

So after some delays, took it to powder coaters stripped it bare in their workshop tub, wings, bulkhead, etc, they lightly blasted everything, then PC'd it, built it back up and I'm pretty happy with the result, it's seems really tough and flexible, did first run out yesterday all good
Thought I'd update in case anyone else wanted to go this way, pics attached , it still has all the dents a marks, it just smoothed them out a bit

Attachments

• IMG-20240428-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20240428-WA0011.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG-20240428-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20240428-WA0001.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG-20240428-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20240428-WA0007.jpg
    549.4 KB · Views: 42
Thanks for the + comments
pics attached (before), (that I liked), but glad I changed it as I think it reflects the countless hours "work" better

Attachments

• 20230329_110856.jpg
    20230329_110856.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230330_115604.jpg
    20230330_115604.jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG-20230418-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20230418-WA0006.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 31
Yes, does look lovely, but given the rep that PC has got for chipping, and given that the finish is fresh, it would be good to have an update after a year of bouncing around.
As to the longevity of the finish I too will be interested to hear how it holds up. I would think that PC would likely have similar adhesion issues to paint when it comes to aluminum. That being said I've seen regular paint jobs flaking off after a year too so what the heck, might as well try something new! šŸ˜

.There is also something about the bare ally look that I love ā€¦there are a few people on here that have done it .
The truck looks great .
So after some delays, took it to powder coaters stripped it bare in their workshop tub, wings, bulkhead, etc, they lightly blasted everything, then PC'd it, built it back up and I'm pretty happy with the result, it's seems really tough and flexible, did first run out yesterday all good
Thought I'd update in case anyone else wanted to go this way, pics attached , it still has all the dents a marks, it just smoothed them out a bit

Back
Top Bottom