• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Canvas top spares?

blinkityblonk

In Third Gear
Hi all, so yesterday I fitted a seatbelt bar on The Shed. It was a slightly odd fit - the rear fixing points were twisted/angled towards the rear. Didn't seem normal and the spacing between these points and the tub sides was larger than expected. Possible a manufacturing defect, as one of the welded seat belt fixing points is also misaligned? Ended up making some saddle bushes to compensate. Quite pleased but a bit of a faff to fit... Not exactly the 30 minute guidelines fitting time, especially as the rear seats had to come out too!

To the point... Obviously the top came off as well. Being as it's quite old (10+ years) and hasn't been on and off that much, many of the fastening ropes & straps are perished. Most notable is the strap that runs across the windscreen, as I pulled that tight it just snapped and crumbled away. Lots of the finishing edging is also perishing away. I can find a lot of the webbing and straps for sale but I can't seem to find that strap for the leading edge/windscreen anywhere. Anyone know where I might source one?

Alternatively... I've been mulling over the idea of swapping to a tin top. Not as aesthetic in my humble opinion but more durable, versatile and easier to take on and off.

P_20240505_142402.jpg
P_20240505_122423.jpg

I contacted Exmoor trim with a nice letter and they were very happy to supply me with straps, brass rivets etc. Very nice people.
I know the thin webbing strap you are on about but can't remember where I got it.

Mine had also started rotting so needed a fair bit of work.

I also bought a stitching awl and some thick canvas thread to replace those straps.

I also used some rotproof rope that is buff sand coloured, looks like rope but is polyproplylene, and quite nice to handle compared to sizal. Worth looking for.

Old thread of mine but may be useful -

That's awesome šŸ‘ thanks. I feel (another) land rover project coming on šŸ˜

I have sourced a cheap hard top to use in the mean time... Need a catflap for it though, but they're a bit less cheap

True, they are a lot cheaper, but I'm still going to keep the canvas top, I have a drop down tailgate currently. Not sure about swapping that out for the door every time I change between the two.

Fair enough... Just 2 bolts - Never taken it off before so didn't realise it was quite that easy šŸ° thanks for the tip.

Saw someone selling sides, roof & cat flap on fb for Ā£140 but was already sold by the time I got to it.

Hi all, so yesterday I fitted a seatbelt bar on The Shed. It was a slightly odd fit - the rear fixing points were twisted/angled towards the rear. Didn't seem normal and the spacing between these points and the tub sides was larger than expected. Possible a manufacturing defect, as one of the welded seat belt fixing points is also misaligned? Ended up making some saddle bushes to compensate. Quite pleased but a bit of a faff to fit... Not exactly the 30 minute guidelines fitting time, especially as the rear seats had to come out too!

To the point... Obviously the top came off as well. Being as it's quite old (10+ years) and hasn't been on and off that much, many of the fastening ropes & straps are perished. Most notable is the strap that runs across the windscreen, as I pulled that tight it just snapped and crumbled away. Lots of the finishing edging is also perishing away. I can find a lot of the webbing and straps for sale but I can't seem to find that strap for the leading edge/windscreen anywhere. Anyone know where I might source one?

Alternatively... I've been mulling over the idea of swapping to a tin top. Not as aesthetic in my humble opinion but more durable, versatile and easier to take on and off.

View attachment 531491View attachment 531492
Pretty sure your seat belt bar is on back to front ie

Back
Top Bottom