• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Series 3 2.25 petrol , tick over strange

Bilge rat 1

Big Landy Fan
This has me confused, It runs great , no starting issues,

Bit of smoke but stem seals need doing, When it gets warm it pops slightly through the exhaust, a new weber carb , re built dizzy on points still , I thought today I’d do a cylinder leakage check ,
Bit of blow by on the pistons but not much ,
I’ve checked all the exhaust for air leaks , checked the inlet manifold and servo system for leaks, Is there anything anyone can think of ,
Would love to cure it 🤔👍

Yep all done, running about 6 to 7 btdc, All tappets checked and double checked,
Sounds like a tight tappet or a plug with a too small a gap , I have wondered about sticking valve but if it is I’ve got to try figure which one
Then i would say .. check plugs every day for a week .. after a decent run and look for a plug with a real different colour .. see if you can isolate which cylinder it is .. if you can then work on that cylinder ..

When I stripped the head on mine there was a white crusty deposit around the valve sealing face like hardened clay. Think it's just the crap fuel, or occasional additives.
But from memory I think it is jetted to run slightly rich at idle.

When I first started mine after a full engine rebuild it would tick over fine with the occasional "stronger" puff from the exhaust. After numerous (unrelated) problems with starting it which led to me doing the ignition timing on several occasions adjusting the mixture control, fitting a weaker idle jet (New Genuine Zenith) and setting the valve clearances VERY carefully. It doesn't do it any more, it now ticks over as steady as a rock @500 rev/min without the stronger puffs

I have found the front pipe very slightly loose and with it only doing it when hot mainly wondering if it’s sucking air and igniting in the down pipe 🤔, But every now and then when I leave it standing and start it from cold it will start on 4 and drop to 3 , but not long enough to figure which cylinder but I guess it would show on my temp gun , if I was quick enough 🤔, bet it won’t do it now, cheers for the input guys 👍

Back
Top Bottom